Make your own free website on

Thursday June 17, 2004

    Earlier this week, Peregrine reached her full sixty foot length.  The transom, made of three quarter inch plywood framed with two by sixes, was hoisted into place and attached to two by eight keel pieces attached to the rudder post.  This was leveled and squared and then the chine was extended to the transom.  My circular saw blade was getting dull and I think the saw itself is on it's last legs.  Not surprising, it's cut a lot of wood since I began.  This being the case, I couldn't make the angle cut for the chine so the stringers I began adding to the bottom could not be extended aft of the midpoint.  However two days ago I received a load of two by six by sixteen foot lumber for the planking of the sides so that has begun on the forward sections.  From nothing two and a half months ago to beginning to plank is pretty good I think.  Bending two by sixes around the forward sections is not always easy however.
    On Sunday my youngest daughter Rebekkah developed a high fever that has lasted most of the week.  She has a history of urinary tract infections so without a new doctor or insurance Kelly ended up taking her to a clinic.  It ended up not being a UTI, in fact after two different doctors in two days, no one knows what she has.  Due to her history, they want to run all kinds of tests even though what was wrong in the past is not what is wrong now.  Someone suggested putting her on a long term low dose antibiotic.  I'm not for that at all.  In fact, without having a clue what caused the fever, they prescribed and antibiotic even though it is probably viral.  Even though my lovely wife is a RN, medical treatment is one of the very few things we disagree on.  It also raises cruising concerns.  A medical emergency on board is a big concern.  Injuries aside, what do we do with a sick child hundreds of miles from the nearest medical facility?  Can we get over the prejudice we have as Americans that medical care everywhere else in the world, particularly the third world, is not only less effective but dangerous?  I believe the cruising life will be very healthy and many of the things we expose ourselves to and the food we eat that compromise our health will be unavailable.  But the fact is, people do get sick and a child who has a

Tuesday June 29, 2004

    It seems as though I've been so busy I have not had time to write.  A little over a week ago I received my second delivery of lumber, 70 two by six by sixteen pieces for the inner planking of the topsides.  They are all installed.  If it looked like a boat before, it really does now.  The two by sixes were bent cold around the hull except for the stern where the wood needed to be split to make the transom curve.  It wasn't always easy.  It required a lot of clamping and one of them knocked me off the ladder once when it snapped back into place before I had secured it.  I still have a cut and bump on my shin from that one!  Hopefully, that is the most severe injury I will sustain from this project. 
    I finished installing the last of the forward frames, one of them was so far off it needed to be dismantled and reinstalled.  Several of the roof beams also needed to be moved to the proper sheer line.  I had screwed in the sole supports but they will have to be moved another inch and a half down of I am not going to be bumping my head on the roof beams all the time!  After I chisel off some of the edges that are not fair, the forward two thirds of the boat will be ready for the first layer of plywood planking.  My father is visiting next week so I will have his help with that.  I must say I am ahead of schedule.  I was hoping to have everything enclosed by the time it started to get cold and it looks like I will have it enclosed by August.  I am, however, waiting for some money to come in.  The bottom and plywood planking are the last major construction expenses until I start considering systems and rigging.  That will be a while, however.  I just

More >>

Saturday July 10, 2004

      In the last few days, plywood and bottom planking have begun going up.  My father was here this week to help out and we put four sheets on each side and started laying the deck.  Seeing things becoming enclosed is exciting.  Yesterday I even started framing out the two forward berths.  I also installed the 'samson post' since we were laying the deck.  This is a 4X6 piece of hardwood bolted to the forward frame and the keel and reinforced with bracing to the stem.  I expect it to hold  an anchor load without a problem. 

    Unfortunately, things slowed a bit when Rebekkah was admitted to the hospital for her UTI.  One of us had to stay in with her for the three days she was there.  Apparently, there may be some problems in her anatomy that predispose her toward such things.  We have to have some tests run to determine it.  I had to talk to the doctor about our plans and the need to come up with a treatment plan that would not involve a lot of long term medication since we may be places that do not have high-tech medical facilities.  He seemed to understand, we shall see.  It did cause us to scrap our plans to go to Boston for the sailing course the kids and Kelly had been signed up for.  I really wish they could have gone so they could gain more confidence in their abilities.  We will have to get out on our boat a couple of times this