Make your own free website on Tripod.com

Sunday May 2, 2004

      This was a big week.  I finished putting the form together and on Wednesday morning at 10AM the concrete truck showed up to pour.  Except for the actual launching of the boat, this was the thing that worried me the most.  Did I make the form strong enough?  It would be really embarrassing and costly to have three and a half cubic yards of concrete all over the ground after the form gave way!  That was only one worry.  The other was that my experience with concrete was limited to repairing a step or two.  I had never worked with anything that big and it was a daunting task.  Fortunately the whole family helped out (even my visiting mother-in-law!) and everything went very smoothly.  Mark, the guy who delivered it, had never done a pour for such a project but he was patient and understanding.  I spread it to both ends of the form with a shovel and Kelly and the kids stuck it with sticks to make sure it flowed all around the bolts, rebar, and to all corners of the form.  Then we smoothed it out and troweled it flat.  Rachael did a particularity good job with the trowel.  When it was finished we let it sit until the evening and then covered it up with some old carpet and kept it wet for the next few days.  I was beaming the whole day, I was just TOO HAPPY things went so well.  Like I said, that was one of my two major hurdles.
    While the concrete is setting, I began assembling the half frames.  This went rather quickly.  I laid out some plywood to make a 12 X 16 ft lofting platform and began laying them out.  As of today, I have put together 12 of them.  It is pretty cool looking at all the parts ready to be put together as soon as the keel is righted.  That is the next big task but I have another week until that happens!

Friday May 7, 2004

    This was a bit of a slow week.  I had assembled most of the frames by Tuesday.  Instead of hanging knees, I have just been putting plywood gussets in the joint between the frames and roof beams.  For some reason, roof beams are usually added later although I have never seen a reason why.  Instead of using extra wood to brace up the frames and add them later, I've used the roof beams themselves as part of the bracing.  So all the frames except for those at the extreme ends are ready to be put in place when the boat is righted.  This morning I took off the concrete form to be ready to set it upright next week.  The concrete was a little rougher along the form that that which was on the top and manually smoothed.  I'm not sure what I can do about that.
    Kelly picked up a few good books at the library.  The one I read this week was Clare Allcard's "The Intricate Art of Living Afloat".  It is definitely a recommended read and I think we are going to have to get a copy of our own to use as a reference when we go.  I also rigged our 20' Ensenada sailboat and am looking forward to getting it out on the water next week.  Since Kelly has started work and will be working at least one night shift a week, I will be taking the kids for 'training' during the day when she will be sleeping.  Practice makes perfect.

MORE>>